Thursday, April 23, 2009

Our Back Pages (Tunlaw to Be Specific)

Here's a story from a 1965 or 1966 issue of Tunlaw about the NPHS Freshman dance "Happiness Is...." I love that Richard Muglia is listed as "supervising" the dance. I'm not sure what that means although I'm sure he did a great job. Don't remember anyone getting sick from the punch. Vaguely remember the band the Ultimates. Didn't 9th grader Barrie date 10th grader Martha Huff? Playing lead guitar will always get you all the chicks. To me, the name of the dance -- "Happiness Is...." -- just drips with irony. "Happiness" and "Freshman year in high school" just don't belong in the same sentence. It's just an awful time when your body goes haywire, math becomes impossible, you have to learn a foreign language, you're years away from driving but you're too cool to ask your parents for a ride...and did I mention that math becomes impossible?

No comments: