Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Ethel Abrams Speaks

Yesterday I came across a note from Nov. 4, 2004, in my desk drawer from our late great English teacher Ethyl Abrams. I think it's appropriate that tonight -- January 20, 2009, on the day that a black man was inaugurated as president of the United States -- that I share this with you.

If you are a fan of our former President Bush, read no further. There are some strong anti-Bush sentiments in it. Here's a portion of what she wrote: I'm still reeling from the election results. Where is the constitutional division of church and state? Because Bush at age 39 switched from Johnnie Walker to Jesus Christ, we're going to have to endure a continuation of mistaken priorities and international scorn....

I think Mrs. Abrams is smiling tonight.

No comments: