Friday, July 13, 2018

The NPHS Reunion Interview: Karl Krawitz, Class of 1968

Karl Kawitz on the job in 2013 in his role as principal at Shawnee Mission East High School, Kansas.
Please describe your career
When I graduated from NPHS, I attended Baker University (Kansas), where I earned a bachelor’s degree in chemistry.   I taught the same subject at the secondary school level for nine years.  While teaching, I went back to graduate school and earned a Master’s and Doctoral degree in Educational Administration with an emphasis on school architecture from the University of Kansas in 1987.  For 30 years, I was a building principal for four different high schools in two major school districts in eastern Kansas.  In addition, I served as a consultant for both school districts assisting in the planning and construction of more than 1.5 billion dollars in new building construction.   In 2004 I was selected as Kansas PTA Educator of the Year and in 2008 I was inducted in the Baker University Hall of Fame (Education), for my career work in the profession.  I retired the first time in 2005 and became an associate professor in educational administration at Baker University where I stayed until 2008. I returned to the same school district I retired from in 2005 and stayed until I retired a second time in 2013.

Where do you live now?  
Along with my wife Patricia, I live in Overland Park, KS, a suburb of Kansas City.  Basically, since graduating from NPHS, I have lived in the Kansas City area. We have two sons, and five grandchildren.

What was your sense of community in your class/in the school at NPHS?
I always thought we had a strong united class and a great school.  Since I lived at the extreme southern/western border of the school district (between North Plainfield and Greenbrook), it was often difficult to interact with other classmates, so at times I really did not feel like I was part of any one group of friends.  For me that completely changed once I was able to “drive” my senior year.  Who can ever forget the Saturday night canteens, dances, and athletic events? 

What experience in high school, positive or negative, helped to shape you as a person?

The one event for me was both positive and negative; however without question, it was profound.  Throughout high school, I was never a serious student.  I enjoyed everything else about school, except going to class.  Early on in my senior year, I was called to the counselor’s office.  The counselor began by asking me what I was planning to do after high school.  I said to attend college (though I had done absolutely nothing to acquire information or apply to any school).  She told me my test scores, class rank, and GPA were not at an
Karl Krawitz, principal of
Olathe East High School,
Kansas (1992)
acceptable level for college admission.  She went on to say, I should consider other alternatives.  To say the least, the meeting made me mad, even though I knew what she was saying was true.  Even though, my grades improved during the second semester it was too little too late to make a huge difference.  With few college and university offerings, I entered Baker University as a probationary student in the fall of 1968.

Do you have any regrets about the experiences during your high school years?
My only regret (besides maybe being a better student) would have been to be a better athlete.  I really enjoyed sports (still do); however I had little talent.  I really enjoyed practices, especially basketball.  

Now, 50 years later, has your perspective on your high school years changed at all? If so, how?
It is somewhat Ironic that I spent 42 years in education based on my overall experience in high school.  Schools (at all levels) place too much emphasis on standardized testing, GPA, grades and class rank.  Many of you would be surprised to know, both test scores and grades are really poor predictors of future success (however measured).  There will be many of you who will not believe research is equally divided on the subject.  This is why schools should never give up on any child.  In fact, schools should be a place where children find hope for their future regardless whether they go to college or not.

What is your fondest memory of your years at NPHS?
My fondest memory was having the opportunity to be a member of the varsity football and basketball team my senior year. Even though I hardly ever played in a game, practice was fun, especially basketball.

What was the craziest or stupidest thing you did in high school?
Writing a forged note excusing my absence from school because of illness.  Got away with it
Breaking in: Karl Krawitz in 1972
at Olathe High School, his
first year as a teacher.
three times.  On the fourth attempt, Mr. Stec just happened to be the teacher handling excused notes that day in the nurse’s office.  Without me knowing, he had seen me the previous day in the afternoon playing pinball at Great Eastern (Anyone remember this store on Highway 22?).  Needless to say, I was caught.

What was your proudest accomplishment in high school?
At the time it was graduation.  Looking back, it was a change in attitude late in my senior year and listening to the advice given to me by so many of you and by some very special teachers/coaches like Howard Porter.


No comments: