Monday, July 23, 2018

The NPHS Reunion Interview: Jack Muldowney, Class of 1969

Jack Muldowney, 2017

Where did you attend college?
I attended Minnesota Tech in Crookston, MN, which was 90 miles from the Canadian border and just east of North Dakota. Population:  roughly 7,000.  I went there with Mike Maresca to play football.  Mike and I became captains of the
Jack (right) with teammate and
future NFL star Jim LeClair (24)
team along with another player. We had the opportunity to play with Jim LeClair who went on to play 12 seasons in the NFL with Cincinnati Bengals and appear in a Super Bowl. Tech was a junior college and after a year-and-a-half I transferred to Trenton State with the help of Frank Tramontano. I played two years there and graduated with a BS in Health and Physical Education. I never got a teaching job.  

So where did you work?
I was fortunate to get a job with Weldon Concrete, I worked for them for 35 years. For the past six years, I’ve worked at Phoenix Sand. I will be retiring at the end of the year

Where do you live now?  Where have you lived since graduating?
I’ve lived in Toms River for the past 25 years.  Before that, I bought the Migdal house in North Plainfield on Greenbrook Road right across from West End School.  Back in the 70s, I shared a house in Bernardsville with former NPHS classmates John Smith, Bob Doda and Bob’s brother Rich.  Lots of good stories there. 

Who were your friends back in high school?  Are you still in touch with them now?
I’ve stayed in close contact with Mike Maresca over the years. I really had a lot of friends in high school.  My closest friends then were probably Gary Garwacke and Al Misko, who passed away in 2015.  I’m glad I had the chance to see Al at his home in Coral Springs, FL, before he died.  
Jack with daughter Trish, Michael Maresca and Mr. Maresca.


Jasmine Muldowney
Jack with Jill Muldowney
How many children do you have?
Five.  Two from my wife's first marriage.  Two from ours.  And Jasmine, a daughter we adopted.
 Do you have any regrets about your experiences during your high school years? 
I really don’t have any regrets about high school.  And I thought I was pretty friendly to everyone – freaks, geeks, jocks and greasers!
  
What is the funniest thing that happened to you at NPHS?  
I got talked into running with Marty Dogget as vice president of the class.  When it was time for me to talk into the microphone I never adjusted it. And people were motioning to me and I thought they wanted me to stand up straight which I did.  Unfortunately, the microphone barely picked up anything I said and no one heard a word. And I lost the election.  
  
What was your proudest accomplishment in high school?  
I was proud of my achievements as a varsity athlete in football, basketball, and track and field.  

Who were your favorite teachers? 
Messrs Blackman and Sincavage.   

What is your most powerful or haunting memory during your years at NPHS?
The death of Bob Gardner in the fall of 1968 had a lasting effect.  

No comments: