Friday, October 5, 2018

The NPHS Reunion Interview with Steve Miksis Class of 1969

Steve Miksis and his wife, Lori, in Croatia (2018).  
Describe your career. 
My career has evolved over the years. In the 70’s I was a building contractor with a crew who built many cool homes in Los Angeles. In the early 80’s I went back and completed college to get licensed as a Certified Public Accountant (fancy name) then found my niche as an investigative forensic accountant; lots of interesting stories. I have also practiced as a mediator for business and family disputes, also very interesting. Currently work three days a week, perfect, and soon no days a week, even more perfect.

Where have you lived since graduating?
Since 1981 I have lived in Santa Rosa, California, an hour north of San Francisco. Beautiful part of the world even as it has doubled in size since moving here. Climate is Mediterranean, rugged coast, many, many awesome hiking spots and great local food, art and music.  

Who were your friends back in high school?  
Friends/the crew included: Emily Polskin, Howard Polskin, Ned Fitzgerald, Bob Riggs, Ann Proli, Al Misko, Mark McCloud, Carmen Jones aka Carol Mingione, Dave Mills, Rich Senna, Deb Metz …damn, never made a list like that before, sorry if I forgot someone, and I remain in touch, somewhat.

Do you have any regrets about your experiences during your high school years? 
I don’t hold regrets, in retrospect, maybe if I had a little more clue of how I affected others, and how others felt about me, that probably would have been cool, but, I would not change anything to where I am now with the life I enjoy.

Now, 50 years later, has your perspective on your high school years changed at all?  If so, how? 
Yes, as I mentioned above, I now see how personal insecurities, along with my introspective nature, kept me at a distance which did not give me the opportunities to possibly connect with others, but again, all good.

What is your fondest memory of your years at NPHS?
Not sure I can write about my fondest memory/memories, but summers at the shore, surfing endless days, autumn in the east, lasting connections.

What was the craziest or stupidest thing you did in high school?
I can’t write what was the stupidest thing I participated in, but the craziest was showing up at someone’s house whose parents were having a gathering and I was high as a kite and hallucinating and meeting people and acting normal (at least that is what I thought in between thinking, “I got to get out of here!”) Guess whose house and whose parents?  

What was your proudest accomplishment in high school?
Never thought of a “proudest accomplishment in high school,” will have to get back to you on that one.

Who was your favorite teacher? 
Paul Sincavage, great teacher, great human being.

What was your worst class?
No recall of a worst class, I guess that is good. 

What is your most powerful or haunting memory during your years at NPHS?
Most haunting memory is that of coming upon the car crash that killed Bobby Gardner and seriously injured my other two classmates. It was surreal as it had just happened and I got out of my car and was looking and walking around the scene and I heard voices mentioning the guys names, not knowing anything at the time other than it was a very serious crash; the only time in my life I recall praying for those guys.

How did growing up at a child of the 60s – and all the social baggage and impact that it may have entailed – impact you at the time and in your young adult years?
My daughter, who is now 29, once said to me when she was a teenager, “You grew up in the 60’s, right? I wish I grew up in the 60’s, I think it would have been cool.” There you go, could not have said it better myself.
 a

No comments: