Thursday, August 16, 2018

The NPHS Reunion Interview: Linda Shebey Leugers, Class of 1968

Linda Shebey Leugers, August 2018, Vermont.
"Here's to you old friends/here's to our teachers/here's to our parents/
here's to our hometown/how lucky we were!"
Describe your career
My first real job, where I actually paid into Social Security, was at Stewart’s Root Beer Stand in South Plainfield. I worked there with my mascot buddy and forever friend, Nancy Waller. We flipped burgers and cleaned French fry vats for 90 cents an hour (I kept my first pay stub!)While in college, I continued my “culinary career” working in the cafeteria, serving up mystery meat and overcooked green beans!

After graduation, I left “The Kitchen” for “The Kids” and began my real career as a teacher. I taught in Lancaster, PA, for 33 years, retiring in 2005. I had, at one time or another, full-day kindergarten, pre-first, and first grade, ALL in the same neighborhood school.  As a result, I had children OF children I had previously taught! A real eye-opener to one’s age!

Where have you lived?
I’ve lived in Lancaster, PA, since I began teaching in 1972. However, I spend most of the summer in Vermont with my significant other, Bill.  In winter, we migrate to the tiny island of Nevis in the West Indies. (I’ve thankfully traded in my snow boots for flip flops!)

What are your fondest memories of attending school in North Plainfield?
Beginning in kindergarten and lasting throughout high school, I was one of those “geeks” who loved everything about school, especially seeing my friends every day, going on field trips (the one in second grade was to the Bronx Zoo), and being involved in after-school activities and clubs. I remember my excitement every Tuesday after Labor Day walking into Somerset Elementary School with a new box of Crayola Crayons and a new pair of white Keds! Then, my excitement walking into NPHS with a new three-ring notebook and.... a new pair of white Keds!

Who was your favorite teacher?
There are many, but at the top: Mrs. Schuman. She made a great impression on me in junior high as our gym teacher (and we, her Ladybugs); but even more so as our instructor for six years in the Modern Dance Club (along with Judy Nazemetz, Kathy Weiss, Grace Gallo, and Kathy Miller).

Mrs. Schuman exposed us to different styles of music and choreography, and taught us how to work together, as well as independently. She gave us the opportunity to perform at area schools and at the annual State Teachers Convention in Atlantic City. I owe my love of dance to her!

Oh, one more thing: she also taught us self-confidence... how else could we have gotten on stage in front of teenage boys wearing only leotards and tights?

What was your worst subject?
I didn’t do well in chemistry but I still enjoyed the class... could have been the cute boys I sat next to!

What were your most powerful and enduring memories of going to school in the 60s?
No doubt the diverse music of the 60’s, from Motown and The British Invasion to Bob Dylan and Jimmy Hendrix, had a powerful effect on all of us. I THINK I remember someone (maybe Bob Kelly) playing The Doors’ “Light My Fire” during lunch time in the “senior” room. If that’s correct, “Thank you Bob!”

Just as powerful was my introduction to the theater. It happened in 8th grade English. After reading “Oliver Twist,” the class went into NYC to see the musical, “Oliver!” It was my first Broadway show and I was instantly hooked! Everything about it was magical: the costumes, the music, the dancing, the stage! I immediately went home and bought the sound track (with my 25 cents a week allowance!).  I memorized every song (and made up my own dances!).  By the way, I fell in love with the actor who played The Artful Dodger: Davey Jones (long before he became a Monkee! )

I was once again thrilled when, after reading Don Quixote in 12th grade Spanish class with Senor Kinese, we saw “Man of La Mancha” on Broadway!  


It’s why I SO loved being in the school productions of “Oklahoma” and “Wildcat!” It’s also why I have had a lifelong love of music and theater. 

Have you remained friends with any former NPHS classmates? 
I gratefully still have in my life:  Nancy Waller, Iris Densky, Adrienne Jacobs, Gail Gilbert, Judy Nazemetz, Barbara Page, Gerry Gerantino, Mary Wilson, Angela DellaVentura, Laraine Cox, Nancy Campbell, and Lorrie Allen. We get together for dinner whenever I’m in Jersey. It’s always the highlight of my visits! 

What are your fondest memories of your years at NPHS?
In no particular order: 
--Ho Jo’s
--cheering for our awesome basketball and football teams
--going “down the shore” (and coming home burnt!)
--the Plainfield-Edison Drive-In
--canteens and dances (the last song that was always played: The Beach Boys “Surfer Girl”)
--and ultimately graduating with the greatest class!
          

No comments: