Saturday, February 17, 2018

NPHS Reunion Interview: Mike Watson, Class of 1968

Mike and Bonnie Watson
Describe your career in 100 words or less.
I spend almost my entire career as an electrician.  I also worked 38 years in the motion picture industry.  I was a post-sound technician and ended my career as a post-sound wireman foreman.  I retired in May, 2014.

Where do you live now?
I live in Arroyo Grande, California (almost halfway between Los Angeles and San Francisco).  After retiring, I moved from southern California to San Luis Obispo County, California where Arroyo Grande is located.  Among the places I've lived since leaving North Plainfield: Minnesota (1968-69), Mt. Pleasant, Iowa (1970-71) and Santa Monica, California, beginning in 1976.

What was your sense of community in the high school?
I attended young life meetings for a year.  I was in Cub Scouts and then Boy Scouts.  And for a time I was with the Sea Scouts.

What experiences in high school -- positive or negative -- helped to shape you as a person?
Everything turned out pretty well so I would like to dwell on the positive and point to the friendships I made and kept.

Do you have any regrets about your experiences during high school?
Not studying harder and not getting better grades.

Now, 50 years later, has your perspective on high school changed at all?
For a while I thought that I had totally squandered my chances for success in any field. But I found something I loved to do.  They say if you love what you do, you never work a day in your life!

What are your fondest memories of your years at North Plainfield High School?
Some of my fondest memories were hanging out with my good friends.  I had a solid family life.  It was really great that my dad came to all of my football games.
Mike Watson, on his sailboat, off the coast of Catalina Island (California), 1976.





No comments: