Monday, January 8, 2018

NPHS Reunion Interview: Fred Legg, Class of 1968


Fred Legg and Marianne Legg, his wife of 39 years.  

Fred Legg retired in 2015 after 35 years as a Certified Occupational Therapist Assistant (COTA).  He became a COTA in 1976 after a career in the Navy where he served about the USS Kittiwake ASR for four years. He lived in the Plainfield area for a number of years before moving to Florida, where he presently lives in Indian Harbour Beach.    

What was your sense of community in your class/in the school at NPHS?  
We all had our groups of friends and activities.  I was on the JV basketball team and swimming team.   When you’re good at sports you’re accepted by many.  I worked since I was 15 years old at a movie theatre, so I did not go out for varsity teams.   

What experiences in high school, positive or negative, helped to shape you as a person? 
Each teacher affected me positively.  I was quiet and a solid "C" student – even though I could and should have done better.  I enjoyed classes and learned a lot.  I loved Miss O'Brien's English class where she had us study music and cultures from around the world  We were also encouraged to read newsmagazines to expand our minds and learn new words.  Sports played an important part of my high school years.  I also loved shop.

Do you have any regrets about your experiences during your high school years? 
Not applying myself in high school.  After the Navy, I used the GI Bill to go to college and I graduated with a 3.8 GPA.  I wish I could have juggled work and sports but my family needed the money so work won out.  I wish I had been more respectful to the teachers; they have a tough job educating and molding young minds.  

Now, 50 years later, has your perspective on your high school years changed at all?  If so, how? 
Of course, I would have been a lot more involved with learning and growing as a person.  Because the Viet Nam war was peaking when I was graduating there were three options for the immediate future: college, service (the mandatory draft), or Canada.  I did not have the grades so I enlisted in the Navy for four years.  I see now the importance of education and the opportunities it creates.  

What is your fondest memory of your years at NPHS?
Participating in all sports, especially with Mr. Porter and Mr. Rowe in basketball,  I loved every sport.  I also loved hanging out with my friends during and after school and evenings.

What was the craziest or stupidest thing you did in high school?
I was not a crazy for a stupid kid.  I was just there.  Sounds dull but it wasn't.  

What was your proudest accomplishment in high school?  
Graduating.  Receiving my diploma.  And, of course, getting that edge level on a piece of wood in Mr. Wienen's shop class, after a trillion tries.   

Who was your favorite teacher? 
Mr.  William Van Wienen (Shop), Miss O'Brien (English), and Mr. Porter (Gym).

What was your worst class?
History 

What is your most powerful or haunting memory during your years at NPHS?
Realizing that many of our graduates were going to be drafted and fight in the jungles of Viet Nam.  Many served (including me). Many wouldn't return.  To this day, tears come in my eyes when I see their names carved in The Wall at Washington, DC, and the way we who wore the uniforms were treated by the media.

How did growing up at a child of the 60s – and all the social baggage and impact that it may have entailed – impact you at the time and in your young adult years? 

Wow - that is a great question.  Assassination of JFK…The Beatles…the British invasion… music…drugs…Woodstock… sexual revolution…racial strife…space race…entertainment… money…friends.  In 1968 I went in the Navy as a child and came out a man and little wiser. I went back to college, became a therapist, married (40 years in April), have two great kids, grandfather of five, and teach art classes.  I loved the 60s.  We were not staring a iPhone.  We were living everyday and learning so, so, so, much. 
Gunners Mate 3rd Class, Fred Legg
College graduation picture

No comments: